Sunday 22 November 2015

The Health Care American Dream ...? Or should we stick to the NHS?

I want to try and express my fear about what I believe is happening to health care in the UK. To get across my point it may be worth sharing what little I know about the situation in the USA.
I know that in the US there is an extremely limited 'national health service'; that everyone is expected to have health insurance - a considerable expense for families and individuals; that it costs a fortune just to give birth. There was once a programme on television called ER - but I don't know of any other television programmes or films about hospitals or health in the USA ... (Now think UK - Holby, Casualty, Doctors - I don't watch them, but they do roll off the tongue, without a second to think about it).
I know there was fierce opposition to Obama Care - promoted by Obama to make health care in the USA more fair and inclusive. And by fierce I mean - well, savage! It brought the country to a virtual standstill with public sector workers unable to get paid, because Republican senators refused to agree public sector budgets, unless Obama dropped his plans for Obama Care! Obama held firm, and did not give in to them.
I know of a (elderly) person, in the US who had an operation followed by intensive therapy, due a nasty fall. Luckily, in the fortunate position of being able to pay for health insurance over the years, care was swift and reactive ... and very costly - $10,000 a day. Yes, a day. While in post-op intensive therapy the room was shared with another patient. So, after only 20 days - well, you can do the sums yourself.  This patient was not having to pay of course - it all came out of the insurance. Fantastic you are thinking ... ? Maybe.
But I also happen to know that this patient and his partner spend a good proportion of their lives jumping through 'medical hoops' to the point that I get the impression it has almost become their raison d'etre. A massive and stressfully dominant intrusion into their everyday existence. Every little blemish requires a biopsy. Nips and tucks are apparently 'essential' to their well-being.
Sadly, I think US medical insurance holders are in danger of becoming (if they haven't already!) cash cows.
The providers of medical services have realised they have a relatively large pool of 'middle class, well-heeled people who have all been sold the insurance, and who are paying their annual premiums - and there ensues a beautiful 'dance' between the insurance companies and the medics, who they can milk more and more money from these 'sick' people by persuading enough of them that, for their own good, they need some other procedure, or investigation, or prescription - putting more money into their overflowing coffers.
Okay, you get my point. But stick with me here, because I am about to seemingly veer right off course. But I think it is an interesting, and potentially relevant comparison.
Okay, now - just go and check online, what sort of property you could generally buy in the USA for that $200,000 (the cost of that 20 days of post-op intensive therapy I mentioned earlier) - compare the prices of houses there in the US, to here. I know, they have a lot more space which is why I believe THEY needed some alternative economic driver other than land and property - and what better than people's own health ...
So long as everyone who can afford to pays their health insurance, and the health practitioners can persuade people to follow up every single little ache and twinge - KERCHING!! They are raking it in.
And, perhaps with the housing market and mortgages in the UK looking increasingly unsustainable as a primary economic driver, a back up plan needs to be put in place.
Bye bye NHS. Hello Health Insurance!

No comments:

Post a Comment